World We Dare to Imagine
World We Dare to Imagine
Initial Reaction
I think Novogratz’s words are very optimistic and paint a good picture of what the world can and should be like. The concept of geography of community has changed significantly over the past few decades with globalization as communities become bigger and more connected. While this can result in the loss of culture and language, we have the ability to use this new connection as a means of helping one another. I like how she talks about how we all have the ability to help one another in some way. I would take it so far as to say that we have a social responsibility to do so. It’s often a responsibility forgotten or ignored, but extremely important nonetheless. She also touches on global structures and products that people haven’t created yet that we’re going to need in order to bring social equity to the world. I completely agree with that point and I think we’re going to need to devote many more resources than we currently do toward realizing these global structures.
Connection with Other Cultures
After reading The Wayfinders by Wade Davis, I developed a better perspective on how social groups function. I learned about how, before colonial influences, many different groups of people over the globe optimally devoted their resources to address environmental concerns and to ensure the continuation of their cultures. The current priorities of our modern global community are completely misaligned with those of these older indigenous communities. Today, probably the main priority across most global communities is profit, often at the expense of the well-being and sometimes human rights of whole groups of people. Sometimes it’s difficult to conceptualize because the link isn’t always apparent between the capitalist drive for profit and the disenfranchisement of other people. But, there are many ways to address the issue, which Novogratz proves in her book.
My First Step
One idea that I have to address the problem is the make the often overlooked problems more apparent. If access to information regarding big human rights issues was more consolidated and readily available, I think it would make more people more inclined to do something to help. It's a problem that when someone is disassociated from a person or a group of people, there is little chance for empathy. Having more information about a problem and being able to learn about it in depth allows people to make a connection with a group and it makes them more likely to take action. Someone could consolidate info like this with a website or a newspaper editor could have a section of the paper dedicated to providing information on human rights issues and how to help. Small ideas like this, when implemented properly and with devotion, together can realize change and help make the world a more unified and equitable community.
Hi Donovan! I really enjoyed reading this. I'm also glad that reading a book for this class helped you think about how you would like to change the world. I think you brought up really great and important points, especially the point about empathy. It is really crazy that even though we are all people when we feel disconnected to groups we don't feel as much of that empathy. I think you have great ideas when it comes to fixing this!
ReplyDeleteHi Dono - definitely agree with what you have said so far about education and information being a cause of change - I think this is definitely a good first step. I think something to consider to improve efficiency here is depending on the information you are trying to spread, strategically targeting a group of people who need to see the information and using the most effective medium to access them. Putting information in a newspaper is a good start, but it's just as important to have people read it once it is there. Figuring out an effective marketing strategy could help with that issue.
ReplyDelete