Random Post II
For this random blog post, I’m going to write about my experience with a game I love, Lacrosse. I remember when I was starting to write my college essay in high school, my first idea was to write about lacrosse, but my counselor advised against it because high school sports is a pretty overused college essay topic. However unoriginal it may be, I’m going to lay out my history with lacrosse and explain why it’s been such a big part of my life.
Firstly, if you’re not very familiar, lacrosse is like hockey, but on a field, and the ball is thrown around using sticks with mesh pockets. To a spectator that has never seen the sport played, it can seem confusing, but it’s a super fast-paced game with a lot of contact and action.
My relationship with lacrosse started in 6th grade when my mom took me to my first practice with the Hollywood Bears. Initially, I didn’t want to play because it didn’t seem that fun. But my brother had picked up the sport two years earlier and my mom thought he could help me learn. Given that I was more than a head taller and about 40 lbs bigger than most kids (see photo below), they put me on the defensive side of the field and I didn’t have trouble learning. I stuck with the sport through middle school until high school when I tried to get recruited. I played well in high school and ultimately got some offers to play at some division three schools in New England. I took an offer to play at Wesleyan University in Connecticut, where I got through about a third of the season before getting sent home because of COVID.
After transferring to USC, what I missed the most about Wesleyan was being on the lacrosse team. I missed the friendships made strong by spending everyday together, running conditioning tests, and performing the obligatory freshman duties of setting up the field for practice. While I miss the team and the guys, I am ultimately happier at USC and have found some great friends on the club lacrosse team here. While meeting good friends is an awesome aspect of playing the sport, actually competing and being on the field are some of my favorite things to do. Approaching my last semester of college lacrosse, I’m sad that it’s almost over, but I’m extremely excited to get back on the field.
Hey Donovan,
ReplyDeleteTo receive an offer to play the sport you love on a collegiate level is such an accomplishment. Congratulations for being able to experience that!
Definitely need to go see you play one of these days, I know the USC team is super good. I was never much of a lacrosse player but I always enjoyed watchig
ReplyDeleteHi Donovan! I really enjoyed reading this post! I have never watched a lacrosse game, but it seems like a lot of fun.
ReplyDeleteHi Dono, great post per usual! It's great to hear that your passion for lacrosse has not died throughout the years and that you are on the club team here now!
ReplyDeleteHi Donovan! I also played lacrosse in high school so very interesting to hear what it was like on a college level playing at Wesleyan!
ReplyDeleteHi Donovan! I played tennis is high school and the minute I stopped playing when I got to college I felt like there was a part of me missing. Very happy to hear you still get to enjoy the sport while also feeling happy at the school you attend!
ReplyDelete